Thursday, May 28, 2009

Wikis

This week we are learning about wikis. The lesson began with a short sweet and very understandable video from Common Craft. I've consulted Wikipedia countless times, so the only purpose of a wiki, as I understood it, was a place to access a dictionary/encyclopedic blurb on a topic. The Common Craft tutorial, however, showed how a group of people could use a wiki to work on a common task (IE. a camping trip).

Our assignment was to sign up for a PBworks account and then add a 6 item list (on the subject of why I love my library) to the wiki created by the 23 Thingsnat folks. After scrolling through a long stretch of individual postings, I began to wonder how a post on a wiki was any different from a comment on a blog. I re watched the video. Upon returning to the wiki, an urge to get a bit creative hit me. I didn't think that editing any one's post would be polite, especially since most of us do not know each other and any such unexpected tampering might be misconstrued. I decided instead to suggest a slightly different spin: Why I love libraries (the big picture). I only listed 2 things instead of 6 & invited others to add to the list. I'm curious to see if any one runs with my suggestion.

2 comments:

  1. Cathy,
    I love your approach to the 23 things wiki. See, you are creative and daring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the idea of making a massive 'big picture' list. Yay for lightbulb moments! I didn't see it on the wiki but I'd love to contribute!

    ReplyDelete